AYURVEDA & LIFESTYLE
Ayurveda teaches the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and daily routine rooted in the natural rhythms and cycles of our planet. The human body and mind thrive on a solid routine. Many illnesses and doshic imbalances can be significantly improved by following Ayurvedic lifestyle guidelines.
In Ayurvedic medicine, Vihara Chikitsa is known as a healthy lifestyle, and is considered an important part of Ayurvedic treatment protocol.
Some basic principles for a healthy lifestyle include:
- Live in sync with the earth by waking by 5 am and going to bed no later than 10 PM.
- Upon waking, brush the teeth, drink warm water, and empty the bowels.
- Exercise in the morning before breakfast, but do exercise according to your constitution. Don't overdo.
- Eat food according to your constitution, and eat for your body - not for your desires.
- Avoid snacking between meals, unless a medical condition requires it.
- Eat breakfast between 6 and 8 am, lunch between 12 noon and 2 PM, and dinner between 5 and 7 PM.
- Eat food according to your main constitution.
- Drink water, drink water, and drink water.
- Avoid drinks and food with caffeine. These stimulate the central nervous system and increase Vata.
- Avoid alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, and other addictive substances.
- Do not sit or stand for long periods of time during the day or night.
- Preferably, choose an occupation which allows you to eat at regular daily times and is low stress.
- Avoid overuse, under use, or misuse of the senses.
- Avoid sexual activity soon after a heavy meal.
- Avoid negative thinking, speculation, arguing, and gossiping.
- Do not suppress natural urges of coughing, sneezing, yawning, passing gas, urination, defecation, and ejaculation.
- Avoid long exposure to wind, sun, show, storms, heat, dust, and cold.
- Avoid excessive talking. Learn to listen more.
- Avoid excessive use of computers, television, cell phones, and internet.
- Read books and spend more time learning.
- Balance your life by spending an abundance of time in nature by hiking, camping, etc.
- Be kind and compassionate to all earth's creatures.
- Wear a hat when going out into the hot sun.
- Learn to play a musical instrument.
- Do daily oil massage with oils good for your constitution.
- Do daily meditation.
- Do daily devotional, prayer, and spiritual practices.
- Make your food fresh for each meal, and avoid eating left-overs.
- Listen carefully when others are talking.
- Maintain your good daily routine when traveling.
- Be good to yourself, love yourself, and respect yourself.
These are some of the important Ayurvedic lifestyle guidelines which help bring a grounded and balanced life of health and longevity.
For more information about our classes and education services, please visit our Contact page.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended as medical advise, diagnosis, or to replace a one-on-one relationship with a licensed Doctor or health care professional.